Tuesday, September 25

room to breathe



Yes I am back at the little law school on the prairie for my second year of law school, but more on school later. Today, it's time to talk about the prairies.

Over the last week, I've had the opportunity to get out of Saskatoon and onto the prairie proper twice. Once a morning trip to Delisle, Saskatchewan for breakfast, and then a weekend trip to Edmonton.

On the trip to Delisle, I had a person from Toronto, who now lives in London, England along who had never seen the prairies. The sense of wonder shown by this person got me thinking about the prairies.

On the drive back to the LLSOP I went through canadian shield, boreal forest, massive mountains, and towering cedars. Although the mountains make you feel small, the prairie sky can have the same effect. Nothing can make you feel as small or as insignificant as a clear, vast prairie sky.

As a kid, I always considered the prairie's dull and boring, and slept through that part of the cross-country car ride, but I now realize that the prairies can give you something that I think we all want these days, which is a little room to breathe.

2 comments:

Megan said...

You're back!

Anonymous said...

Shame in you! That feeling of smallness and insignificance can easily be obtained while in proximity to the ocean, Great Slave Lake, or the ego of someone who shall remain nameless (until I drink too much).