Saturday, October 13

me and the suffragettes


For the second fall in a row there's an election going on and I don't get to vote. Unfortunately, to most people this wouldn't really be a matter of great concern, but to a political junkie like me it's just wrong.

After months of speculation, and to no one's surprise, the Saskatchewan Premier called a provincial election this week. Coming quick on the heels of Ontario and Newfoundland and Labrador, this fall has been a robust election year, let alone speculation of a pending federal election ($10 it won't happen this fall).

It kills me not to be able to vote, and the usual response from most people, is "you've been here long enough, you can vote". That's true, but I (and Revenue Canada) don't consider me a resident of Saskatchewan. I like to think I'm here in the prairies for a good time, but not a long time.

If it was just these things, maybe I could vote, but its hard to justify voting here in Saskatchewan next month, when earlier this month I voted in the general election in the Northwest Territories.

It was a tough choice, considering at the moment Saskatchewan probably has more direct control over my life, but I felt it was important to vote in the NWT. In what is the quintessential act of Canadian politics, sometimes it's not as important as who you vote for, as the satisfaction of voting against somebody else.

So while a provincial election rages on around me, I will sit back, relax and have some tea with the other modern day, vote-deprived mobile suffragettes.

1 comment:

Megan said...

We appreciated your vote in the Northwest Territories. It went to good use.