Thursday, February 7

it's only fair

A little piece of me is dying inside while I write this post, but I figure it's only fair that I write it. Brace yourselves folks, I'm about to write something nice about Air Canada.

Like most Canadians, I have a love/hate relationship with Air Canada. Okay, most Canadians just have a hate relationship with Air Canada, but I must admit mine is more love/hate.

There are times that I actually do love Air Canada. For example, the fact they offer direct flights. From the middle of the prairie, to get to the parental units, I have to fly west first, then retrace my steps back east if I fly Westjet. Hmmm, maybe that's why they call it Westjet.

I hate the forced frivolity that accompanies a Westjet flight, and love the cool, detached almost snoblike service on Air Canada. I love Aeroplan. Unlike others, I've had a handful of Aeroplan flights, including first class which have been great.

Most of my complaints with Air Canada are related to activities on the ground. Such was how the latest go round began. My trip to Toronto for a national mooting competition got mixed up and had me leaving 12 hours early, smack in the middle of a night class. I wanted to change my flight so I wouldn't miss class, and also have the chance to fly out with everyone else.

Unfortunately, as the flights were booked for us, I didn't have the original credit card information so I had to make changes over the phone and not online. I called once, waited almost half an hour to find out fares had gone up, and it would cost close to $200 more with the new fare and change fees. Not only is there a $40 change fee, but also a $25 fee to talk to a person. I hung up.

Anyways, I waited for a seat sale and one came up yesterday. A lower fare was available on the flight I wanted. I called once, was told to expect a 30 minute wait and hung up. Called again a while later and was told to expect a 45 minute wait; hung up. Waited a little longer, called and was told to expect a 30 minute wait; I stayed on the line.

After 70 minutes on hold, hearing the same ads repeat every four minutes, I was less than impressed when I finally got a person. I gave my confirmation number and told her I needed to change my seat after pointing out I had been on hold for 70 minutes. In fact, she corrected this and told me it was exactly 76 minutes. Not off to a great start.

So she proceeds to tell me that my booking was a web booking and I could save the $25 fee if I made the change on the web site. What a revelation! I explained again that if I could have done that I would have, and wouldn't have had to spend 76 minutes on hold. I explained to her that I didn't have a problem paying $25 to speak to a person, but I did have a HUGE problem, paying $25 to speak to a person after waiting 76 minutes.

After an explanation of a snow storm in Toronto, and all flights being cancelled, I was like "whatever" just change my flight. I decided that rather than asking to speak to a manager, I would just start drafting emails that would be sent to every Air Canada email address I could find and complain after the fact.

So this Air Canada agent, a french woman, stunned me in the end. She changed my flight, did advance seat selection and informed me that she would not charge me the $25 fee to speak to a person. What? Really? Without even throwing a full-scale fit? What's up with that? Nice way to steal my thunder. I said "thank you, I appreciate that," and began deleting the draft email I was furiously typing away to good ol' Robbie Milton.

So Air Canada, you have a good, smart customer service agent with an actual talent for customer service; I have to give you credit for that. We all know that if that hadn't happened, there would have been a scathing entry about Air Canada on the blog today. It's only fair that I share the good along with the bad. This time you've spared yourself from a withering look of disapproval(tm).

1 comment:

Megan said...

It's those hot French women. Very clever of Air Canada.