Monday, July 23

a home of my own

When I first moved to the ‘knife five years ago (this week actually), the housing market was going strong. I was fortunate to time my arrival for a condo conversion project that was still reasonably priced. This was my first foray into the housing market and it went well, seeing a healthy return in only a few years.

However, the housing market in the ‘knife has still been going strong all these years later, although some think it may be maxing out. A similar boom is going on in toon town and is responsible for the rent increase discussed below.

I have serious concerns about what I’ll be able to buy when I come back after law school. I remember when I first moved north my Toronto friends threatened an intervention if I ended up living in a trailer park. Some swore they would fly north, kidnap me and return me to downtown. Realistically though, a trailer may be my only option.

I’ve been in enough trailers now to know that they can actually be quite nice, and they are a good alternative in a land where it is so expensive to build. I’ve housesat in quite a few and visited many more, but there’s always a little part of me that thinks of those poor people living in trailers in the southern United States who seem to be magnets for tornados. Until now that is. I’ve found the trailer of my dreams.

It was the smallest thumbnail of a photo on the Globe and Mail web site that led to the discovery of my dream trailer. An article about small space eco-living. An architect has designed a trailer that can operate off-grid, but still look fabulous.


The entire trailer is 273 sq feet but brilliantly laid out. With solar panels, wind power and a large water reservoir you can put the trailer down anywhere and just start living. You can even order it furnished. With one or two add-on rooms, it can be modified or changed. As much care has been put into designing the interior as the exterior to create what could be considered a stunning home in any setting. For more info, visit www.sustain.ca.

If I’m going to be trailer trash, I’m gonna be designer trailer trash.

No comments: