Monday, July 30

i'm a trailer park boy


This summer I bought a 1976 Boler that had been completely refinished. It's a small fibreglass travel trailer, about 10' from front to back, 13' including the hitch. It sleeps three, and has two areas that convert between beds and dinette, a dinette that sits 3-4 that converts to sleep two, and a dinette that seats 2 that converts to sleep one. It also includes a sink, built-in cooler and lots of storage.

True it's not the trailer home envisioned below, but it's something easy that I can take on the road. It's also the same idea, small and minimal. What's funny is how much interest it draws. As one of the 'knife moms pointed out, in a time when camping rigs are getting bigger and bigger it's amazing how many people want a look inside in my wee trailer.

It's been out to a local campground twice so far this year, and I have to say that it makes camping pretty comfortable. A nice foam bed and solid walls mean a dry, comfortable place to sleep.

It's a luxury item considering I'm in school, but it will be helpful for the trips back and forth from the 'knife to the 'toon. This year one of the law school BFs will be coming up to the 'knife and we're going to take a two week trip down with the camper.

Long-term I think when I'm done law school I hope to take a month or two off and do a North American road trip with the trailer. From toon to the Grand Canyon then out to the pacific coast and all the way up to Alaska and then down and over to the NWT.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Yeah, I'm sure LOTS of people want to look inside and search it from top to bottom. I've been in there poking through the cushions a few times myself.

Stacey and Trevor said...

Very nice purchase, Glen. I am rather envious... Tenting isn't as enjoyable as it once was. Something to do with age? The body hurts after a couple days. I wish you lovely trips and comfy sleeps. Make sure you visit on your big adventure after law school!