Monday, December 3

one size fits all is a lie

I have a very large head, there's no denying. Even other people with big noggins have commented on the sheer size of my scalp. I've blogged before about my love for the movie "So I Married an Axe-Murder!" In it is a hilarious scene where Mike Myers, playing his character's father does a bit of routine on his brother's head. This was me growing up. You can catch a bit of it here:



How all this head talk has come about is that old man winter has blown onto the prairie for good this time and I've decided to sport an old man hat for the season. But this isn't any ordinary old man hat; it's harris tweed, but it's got gor-tex. 

One of the reasons for this specific hat is that one size fits all hats are a lie! Don't believe them. They may fit most, but they won't fit all. My noggin is not going into a one size fits all hat. When I find some who makes an XXL hat I feel compelled to buy it out of gratitude alone, regardless of what I may think of the hat.  

As for those shocked and appalled by the thought of an XXL hat, my ski-doo helmet is an XXXL and has that conveniently printed across the back for the world to see. I'm surprised I can stand upright when I have it on. It's probably about forty pounds of plastic and padding. I don't resent the helmet though, as my head is how I make my living and it needs to be safe.

Anyways, back to the old man hat. I bought this because the XXL actually included my size, 7 and 7/8 inches, yes I pretty much have eight inches (insert innuendo here). I like the style but I'm not sure I'm loving it yet. Here's me in my old man hat:


I think Russell would approve, but do you?

4 comments:

Megan said...

It's not going to keep you warm enough. Put on a sweater!

Anonymous said...

Me-OW!
But what about your ears?! Won't someone think of your ears! How will they survive the prairie winter?
But you look smashing... maybe that's all that matters.
Russell can choke on it.

Glen said...

Not to fear, as the same company makes XXL baseball hats with dropdown flaps that will protect my ears. I also have a custom toque with ear flaps made by the infamous Nanny Anne that protect my ears when outside for long periods of time. This one is more for the short jaunts, or when I want to look fashionable.

Karen said...

If it's good enough for Brad, it's good enough for you. And the old guy down in the park looking to play checkers.