Sunday, December 3

guilty pleasure #2

Wow, this weekend it seems like all my guilty pleasures are hitting the tube. On screen now - So I Married An Axe Murderer.

I consider this movie to be one of Mike Meyers' best movies, well above Wayne's World and better than Austin Powers. It's quirky, funny and you can see the groundwork being laid for many of his later characters, particularly Fat Bastard. Here's a clip:



One note of protest, on behalf of big 'heeead' kids everywhere, cut us some slack, it's not like we made it that big, it's our parents' fault.

I guess I feel a certain affinity for Mike Meyers. Roughly the same age, we both grew up in the suburbs of Toronto with English immigrant fathers, and we're both the youngest child. There's a certain cultural sense that I think we share that makes him that much more funny for me. The British have a sense of humour of their own, which appears to have seeped through to the next generation. I'm sure part of it came from watching Benny Hill and Monty Python at too young of an age.

It's particularly fun for me to watch his movies and pick out the 'local' or 'cultural' in-jokes. Wayne's World is full of them, and there's quite a few in this movie. In Wayne's World, stan nikita's doughnuts, the local cable channel, and the gaslight bar are all local Toronto fixtures. Plus, growing up close to the airport, I've spent many a night sitting on the side of the road watching the planes take off and land above us.

No comments: