Friday, December 8

talkin' bout my generation...

I grew up as part of "generation x". Last weekend, while watching the Liberal leadership convention (it's official, I have no life) Belinda Stronach (also a gen x'er) referred to our generation as the "Charter Generation". Catchy isn't it. That got me thinking, in a way, my generation is very much a product of the Charter of Rights and Freedom. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Certainly many a good thing has come from the Charter, and given recent events, I concede that there is an advantage to having rights enshrined in a constitution rather than simply legislation. But there has also been a negative cultural shift that can be attributed to the Charter. The whole notion of individual rights, or more aptly put "my rights" has created a much more selfish society. All of a sudden "my rights" are more important than any notion of collective rights and society.

It may not be fair however, to solely blame the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. I also blame Marlo Thomas. In our early formative years, before our teenage days and the Charter, we were indoctrinated by Marlo Thomas. We grew up on "Free to Be You and Me", the song, books and TV specials. All over the radio, you would hear "take my hand, come with me, where the children are free".



On TV, Marlo Thomas and Mel Brooks were voicing baby puppets who told us that boys and girls can be whatever they want to be.



Right from the beginning we were told we were special and could be anything we wanted. No wonder we are the generation that believes "it's all about me." I mean really, we never had a chance.

No comments: