Wednesday, March 5

back to normal

The month of February was insane. I am (I guess technically "was" now) on one of the moot teams for the little law school on the prairie. This moot took control over my life. Essentially four of us flew to Toronto to argue an appeal of a case in front of real judges from across Canada.

Being competitive, and wanting to avoid humiliation, we all worked our assess off before heading to Toronto this past weekend. We left last Thursday, and I just got back today, hence the absence of blogging for the past week.

It was a great experience, one I would do again, and one I would recommend to others. The only problem is now that I am behind in all my other classes, and will probably need to work as hard for the next couple of weeks just to try to get through the rest of this term.

The moot itself was great. We argued in historic courtrooms, normally used by the Ontario Court of Appeal, in Osgoode Hall. Our jobs were really good, asking enough questions for us to display our skill in answering them, but also giving us the time to make our argument. It appears I am "unruffable".

It's nice to have a confirmation, that doing this law school thing is the right thing. When I finished my arguments, I knew it's what I wanted to do for the next years of my life.

4 comments:

Megan said...

We are all very proud of you.

Karen said...

Yes we are.

Congratulations Glen! I loved mooting and totally understand how addictive it could be. The good/bad news - you're now on the litigation pathway, my dear lad.

Was this the Laskin? What case were you doing and what position were you assigned?

Glen said...

It was the Gale Cup. This year the case was an appeal of the SCC 2007 decision in R v. Clayton. I was the respondent.

Violations of ss. 8 and 9 and whether a remedy was available under s. 24(2) of the Charter.

Karen said...

Oooh. Excellent. sounds fantastic. I'm so glad you enjoyed the experience. Worry not - spring break is coming and you'll have a chance to catch up.