Monday, June 30

have i matured?

My recent experience of getting getting glasses has brought a sense of aging, but it's also now brought a sense of growing maturity. When looking at glasses, I asked if they had anything big, black and geeky. I thought hey, I'm still in school, I should have some glasses that are fun and ironic. I can hear you all now, "act your age, not your shoe size".

Well, surprisingly enough, the eyeglass retailer was able to find t a pair and brought them in. I was excited to try them on. I was hoping for Elvis Costello, but ended up looking like Drew Carey.





Despite the Drew Carey look I thought they would be a fun pair for going out and having fun, but t I realized I am just not cool, hip or ironic enough for these glasses. In the past this would have been a pure impulse purchase, $300 for irony. The fact that I put the glasses down show not only that I am aging, but that I am maturing.

4 comments:

Karan said...

Buying glasses is my LEAST favourite activity in the world (or at least in the top 10 things that I hate). My vision is so bad, that I cannot even see what the frames look like, so I have to trust the judgment of the people who work in the stores. This year in February, my frames shattered. I had to make my way to the glasses place (which was closed) and then press my face up to the glass to read the store hours. People were laughing at me. I finally ran into a co-worker who drove me home to get my circa-1995 specs.

On top of that, even with all of the advances in high-index lenses, they cannot make them thin enough for many of the frames I like. And, of course, there is the cost.

Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Where are those dreamy (and oft-rolled) eyes of yours?

Glen said...

The glasses hide them. I am going to have to modify my withering look of disapproval(tm) to accommodate the new glasses. This will take some thought.

I agree that buying glasses is an unpleasant experience. At this point, my vision is still good enough that I can see how they look, but I have been taking people along for a second opinion to avoid an impulse decision.

However, as noted in my earlier post, the size of my head tends to prevent an impulse purchase as no one keeps frames big enough in stock.

Karen said...

I kind of like the frames - definitely more Elvis than Drew, but I agree there has to be something better out there for you. Frameless?