Friday, November 16

enough with the double-doubles

Okay, this latest Globe and Mail story has me not knowing what to think. Go read it.

At times I want to laugh because it seems silly and sad, but other times it has me seething and shooting the withering look of disapproval(tm) at society for its focus on coupling and the need to label everything.

First the seething: Our society has this constant need to label everyone and everything into little boxes to make it easier for someone else. People who choose or are forced to live outside the little labels just get ostracized, or crammed into some little box where people will judge them.

We have labels for careers, sexuality, relationship status, moods, hobbies, everything. You can't escape them, and for a lot of the time I can't even keep how I'm labeled straight, (no pun intended) let alone anyone else. The worst part is, I know I label other people, either for ease or out of expectations, but I do it.

Now, you can't just be single, you're single-single. Yes, the hordes of coupledom are once again foricing people's singleness down their own throats. Why are we forcing people to label the kind of relationships that they have? Each person's relationship is different, but we keep wanting to force it into little categories or labels.

Now laughter: I find this need to distinguish between different types of singles silly, and almost pathetic. For some reason certain people who choose to live alone need some sort of label to try to fit themselves in the 'couples' club. It's like they are saying: "It's okay, you can talk to me, I'm not single, I'm single-double, somebody loves me; we don't live together, but I'm not like those other ones!"

I can't be the only one finding this laughable. As the article points out, our relationships are beginning to sound like Tim Horton's orders, not mature aspects of our lives.

I think it's great when someone does find someone that they can have a relationship with, but I also respect those people who may choose to remain single. Most of all, we should show some respect to those people who are single, but would rather be in a relationship.

These labels will only make it worse for them, "Oh, you're single-single? How sad, just haven't met the right person yet." Nothing like reinforcing their single status by saying it twice.

As for my label, I'm not going to be drawn into that game.

2 comments:

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

The lesson here is that when deadline approaches, there is nothing a reporter won't relabel "news":

What? People live apart but still love each other? What a cool trend that I will legitimize simply by acknowledging its existence! I am SO COOL and SO POWERFUL! I totally have my finger on the pulse of society! Fear me, ye mortals!