Tuesday, November 20

green and white all over

Here in Saskatchewan! everything is going green and white. Now I understand if you're mistakenly thinking I'm back talking about the green party or st. paddy's day, but no. This is about football. However, at this point I'm pretty sure Kent Austin could be elected King of the Land.

The Saskatchewan Rough Riders have made it to the Grey Cup, and it's like anything else in Saskatchewan has come to a complete halt. I must admit I'm a little baffled. First off, I live in Saskatoon, the Rough Riders play in Regina. What's the big fuss in Saskatoon about Rough Riders? Also, the lead story on every newscast is about the riders, is nothing else happened? Has the province stopped while some guys play football? I guess really it comes down to what you are used to.

I grew up in a Hockey town, and I mean a capital-H hockey town. The hockey team runs that town, even when they suck, which has been the majority of my life. Yes, there is a CFL team, a NBA team, a MLB team and a MLS team, but don't get us wrong, these other sports are okay, but they're no hockey. And the team, they represent the town, not the province.

I've come to realize in Saskatchewan, all they have is the Rough Riders. There's some minor league teams, but the Riders are really the only game in town, no strike that, the only game in the province. I guess that's why Saskatoon/Regina rivalries disappear when it comes to the Riders, well except for maybe which city has the better fans. I guess the Riders are bred into the people here, like hockey was bred into me.

So although I wrap myself in the blue and white forever, I guess this week I'm donning the green and white, at least for a little while.

2 comments:

Megan said...

We need photos!

And don't think you can Photoshop them, either. I'll be staring at your Adam's Apple.

Glen said...

So I wore green today, but no you're not getting a picture. It's "Green Day" in Saskatchewan.

I actually didn't think about it this morning as I got dressed, but I think it was some sub-conscious act of survival on my part.