Wednesday, November 14

nine to five, what a way to make a living

I have been described, and it appears have described myself as a type-A person. You know what I mean; intense, competitive and ambitious. But it appears when it comes to genetics, sleep and work style I'm firmly in the type-B camp.

According to this article from the Globe and Mail, there is a growing movement to recognize the differences between early- and late-risers. Some people it appears, are genetically different and are night owls.

When I was employed as a spin doctor and lobbyist to make the world a better place for lawyers (and people wonder how I ended up in law school), this was completely the case. I've always tended to be a night owl and this was one place that could accommodate my tendencies. Thankfully our member lawyers preferred to meet at night, outside of their normal billable hours. I immediately seized on all these late night meetings as an excuse to come in late each day.

Unfortunately, I was not able to wander in at 11 am each day, but generally my bosses and I had an agreement. I would not be in the office at 8:30 am when the rest of the staff would all be in place, but I would always be there by 9:30 am. In return they knew I would be there to six or seven at night, and later if we had an evening meeting.

I thrived in that environment. In particular I enjoyed that last hour of the day between six and seven when I would be one of the only ones in the office. It was quiet, I had time to think, the phone wouldn't ring and I could organize myself for the next day. Some of my best writing and ideas would happen in these late-night hours. In return for some flexibility on start times, my employer received the benefit of better work.

One day, I hope to work for myself where I can control my hours, and if I need to write memos at nine at night, I'll be free to do it.

No comments: