Sunday, April 8

the daily dharma

This may come as a surprise to some of my readers, but I subscribe to a yahoo group called Dharma for Today. Dharmas are generally the teachings of the Buddha and could be considered doctrines or laws. The group sends out sends a dharma daily, and once on weekends. One of the messages this week has stuck with me and has been bouncing around my head. I thought I would share it.

In the Dhammapada, a buddhist religious scripture, Buddha said:
We are what we think.
All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts we make the world.
Speak or act with an impure mind
And trouble will follow you
As the wheel follows the ox that draws the cart...
Speak or act with a pure mind
And happiness will follow you
As your shadow, unshakable.
Happiness and unhappiness depend on our actions.

No comments: