Monday, February 12

he ain't heavy, he's my brother

The last couple of trips home have been quite interesting as I have noticed a significant change in my relationship with my brother. We've always been friendly as siblings, but I wouldn't have classified us as close. This seems to be changing.
 
It's weird, but good. Now we hang out. All of sudden I'll look around and I'll realize it's just me and him doing something. No kids, wife or parents, just me and him. We're talking, hanging out, shopping, whatever, but it's just us.
 
I think part of it is that we have both grown older and more mature. And I've grown to be more like him, physically and mentally. First off, we look more and more alike as we get older. At my nephew's hockey game, there was no need for introductions, everyone could tell we were brothers. Our interests are also converging. We talk about camping and fishing, and compare gear, etc. Also, neither of us has patience for the morons the world puts around us (actually I have more patience than him, but we both get outraged easily).
 
At one point today, as we walked through this massive outdoors store and I mentioned I may get my firearms license (just for protection from bears), he looked at me and said, "who are you and what have you done with my brother. Never mind, I like you better." It was actually quite funny, which is how he intended it, but I can also say it's a little true. When we were younger, we had nothing in common. Now we talk about buying land together. It's a long way from beating each other up as kids.

No comments: