Tuesday, February 20

i need a remedy

I'm not a fan of the medical profession, but when you go more than a year and a half with an undiagnosed illness, that's understandable. It was during this time that I got over the reverance that's bred into us for the medical profession and started to assert myself with doctors.

The first time, I was dealing with an intern who did not believe me when I said that a recoccuring problem I had been having was coming back. Having ended up in the emergency room the time before, I was not prepared to take no for an answer. I refused to leave without a prescription. Now I can understand a doctor being hesitant if I was demanding a prescription for pain killers, but I wanted an antibiotic. Anyways, what he prescribed wasn't enough, didn't work and I simply demanded to see a new doctor a few days later. I told the clinic I wouldn't go back to see the intern. Months, and three doctors later, the problem was finally diagnosed and resolved. Without me pushing, it would probably still be a problem today.

Today, after six visits to the campus clinic, I took on the doctors again. I told the doctor I simply wanted a different form of treatment as I felt the current course was not working. Thankfully he agreed without it resorting to demands of seeing someone else or not leaving the office without a prescription. I should have done this weeks ago.

I'm beginning to realize that we simply need to take charge of our own health care. If we're not getting the treatment we need, we have to stand up for ourselves. No one else will do it for us.

No comments: