Thursday, February 15

must love dogs

I'm a dog person, and I'm sure any of my friends would tell you that. I go nuts over their dogs. And most of the time, dogs go nuts over me. I think dogs just know when they see me, that I'm a dog person.

It's been several years now that I haven't had a dog, but thankfully I have great friends with great dogs where I can get dog doses. I'm always amazed by the reaction I get from my brother's dog. His retriever goes insane whenever I'm around. I think it's because I look and sound like my brother, but am nicer. It's also possible that when I first met Farley, I had a dog of my own, so I equal dog to play with.

I went to the seniors' home where my grandmother lives and their are two dogs there everyday. It was an instant connection and one of them, Tess started to follow me everywhere. It was funny because I was told she was the less friendly one.

Today, I was sorting pictures with my grandmother. Old black and white and sepia ones. I wanted to label all the photos while my grandmother could still tell me who everyone was. One of the most remarkable things about the photos is that it seems my love of dogs comes naturally.

There are countless photos of my Great-Grandmother (who I never had the chance to meet), and in every single picture but one, she has a dog in her hands. There may be kids sitting the grass, but there's a dog in her hands. There was quite a few different dogs over the years, but you could tell each one had worked its way into the place of honour.

My Grandfather, (the son of my Great-Grandmother) is also surrounded by dogs in picutures. Works out he always had some dogs around. For a while he had several dalmations, which I never knew about but found some pictures off. Two pictures in comparison are quite funny, my grandfather and nana are pictured as husband and wife, well-coiffed, well-dressed with a dalmation at their feet. The next photo taken some time later, has them not so well-coiffed, not so-well dressed, and holding my mother as a baby. I guess having a child, really does change your life.

As we went through photos we came across the dogs I remembered. Maggie, my grandparents' and then our dog (she lived 17 years) was prominent. The things we did to her as kids. There is one photo of her in my grandmother's nice hat, and another with the dog in a pull-over-the-head lifejacket, sitting on a raft being pushed out by my brother and I, yet that dog still followed us everywhere.

Anyways, here's looking forward to the days when I will have my own dogs again. Until then, I get to spoil all my friends' dogs.

No comments: