Sunday, February 18

that's a load of crock

In a 1970s flashback, dinner has been been cooking away all day today in a crock pot.

Yes, I'm now a slow cooker.

I had forgotten about crock pots until a couple of weeks ago. After our last curling game, we had a great dinner from a crock pot and I thought what a great tool. Throw everything in, and let it cook all day.

I thought it would be an easy way to make some meals. The big problem is, I've never been married,and that's usually the only way you end up with one. It's the quintessential wedding present. I mentioned this to the Saskatoon Uncles (editor's note: name updated at their request) and they had a crock pot they haven't used in years and said I could use it.

Anyways, today's test is a beef and sweet potato stew with onions and bacons. A meal today and then leftovers for the week. Hopefully I can do this once or twice a week.

But don't let the idea of easy slow cooking fool you. I'm discovering that it's not as easy as I thought. It takes time, planning and preparation. You have to get all the ingredients together, chop them up and do all the prep. Then the easy part kicks in. It's sit back and wait.

It's a great concept in theory, and pretty soon I should know how it works in practice.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Stews take a lot of chopping. My favourite is roast beef, because there is almost no prep work.

Cut an onion in quarters and drop it in the bottom of the pot -- no need to separate the layers. Drop your roast on top of it. Pour in half a cup of beef broth mixed with a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Put salt and pepper on top of meat. Turn on Crock-Pot, go to work.

Anonymous said...

I think we should be the
Saskatoon Uncles, I am not old enough to be your father....
Glad you are putting the old
crock to use.
J & R