Wednesday, January 3

a big ole softie

I always thought that as you got older and more experienced you became more cynical and jaded. The reverse seems to be happening to me at the moment. I'm becoming a big ole softie. The worst of it is, I even fall for the stuff that's designed to get you. For example, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, I can rarely get through an episode without tearing up, let alone any of the various animal shows that I have now just given up on watching.

Even when it comes to politics I am afraid that I am losing my cynical, snarky self. Normally I have nothing but cynicism for politics, particularly media stories about politics, but I came across a Wall Street Journal news story yesterday that left me feeling touched. It's such a sweet, nice story about two openly gay men and their friendship with former Republican President Gerald Ford. Unfortunately the article is now only available by subscription, but this blog entry on Towleroad provides a nice summary and hits all of the big "awh" moments.

You have to think that if there were more stories and people like this, there may just be a little more acceptance going around and a little less hate.

No comments: