Sunday, January 14

lip smackin'

All this cold and dry weather has been waging war on my body. Ask my friends, I am rarely a cold person, but yesterday in Winnipeg I was wearing four layers - global warming my ass.

This dry weather has also prompted a question that fashion and grooming expert Russel Smith has to my knowledge not yet answered - what is the manly way to apply lip balm? This weekend I have been switching back and forth between two methods the dip and rub from the tub of balm and the the stick across the lips method.

The dip and rub in the tub method involves the little jars of lip balm. You unscrew the top, rub your finger around the jar and then run that same finger along your lips. The stick across the lips, takes your stick of lip balm (note I do not use the term lipstick) and traces it across the lips. Not using lip balm is not an option, but how best to apply?

In private, I prefer the stick method. It's efficient, clean and simple, but not manly. In public, it looks a little like applying lipstick. In public, I prefer the dip and rub from the tub. Granted running your finger across your lips is not the manliest or sexiest method, but it does beat the lip stick.

Maybe the happy medium, is the tube. Distinct enough from the lipstick, but still clean, efficient and not requiring fingers, it may be the solution for the best method of applying lip balm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Precious, I have seen "manly" lip balm at the stores. They come in studly black tubes and are macho in their non-glistening.

I did have a friend in university who, whenever we females hauled out our tubes of Lip Smacker, would beg us to let him use it, too. His favourite was Strawberry-Kiwi. And he really liked it if it was somewhat shimmery. Come to think of it, I never knew him to have a girlfriend either...