Tuesday, January 30

will I still want you, will I still need you when I'm 64

For the last several months I've been giving a lot of thought to getting a tattoo. I'm still on the borderline. I've narrowed it down to a few options, and have a good idea of what I would get and where it would go, but not sure whether I can go through with it. The biggest issue is the committment. Right now I think I would realy like to have one, the question becomes will I still be happy that I have one thirty years from now, when I'm 64.

I understand that they can be removed, but that would be a lot to go through. In addition to the committment, there's the whole pain and phobia of needles, but I'm told the pain isn't really that bad.

The needle thing, I'm pretty sure I can get over that, it's not like I'm dealing with an overzealous nurse with a hypodermic needle, like I had to in the past. To make a long story short, when I was just a young boy, I was at the doctor's office to get an immunization shot, well the nurse seemed a little too excited, put the needle into the wrong place and I passed out. Since that time I've had what I consider to be a rational fear of needles.

Several of my friends have tattoos (you know who you are) and there may be other friends I know who do, that I don't know about. The general idea is that I would get a tattoo on my lower leg, that way it is inconspicous for work (I'm never likely to have a job that requires me to wear shorts), but I can show it off publicly if I want to, if I don't want to, I wear pants.

Who knows whether I'll go through with it, but it is fun giving it some thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DO IT! It's in an inconspicuous place, and the tatt will mean something to you. Half the fun is picking out what you're going to get and in what colour! But please, I beseech you, NO barbed wire around the bicep. No barbed wire anywhere, for that matter.

Come to Edmonton, and I'll take you to my favourite tattoo parlour! I'll even hold your hand.

Lance Morrison said...

I caution... but wish you well. I wish you well because Tattoo's are so very personal and a great piece of individuality... great great great.
I caution only that you make sure you do pick something that you will love and take pride in for years to come. Sure you can get it removed, but why go through the bother.

This coming from the boy that has a huge pair of Rocky Horror Picture Show lips on his back shoulder... ahhh to be 17 again.