Sunday, January 7

ring, ring, why don't you give me a call

Well I lasted five months without one, but I finally broke down and got a new cell phone (that's it on the right). My old cell phone was supplied by my employer, and funny enough when I told them I was leaving to go to school, they wanted their phone back; how rude.

In spirited defiance of both them and this technology-driven world, I thought that I would be able to go back to the good old days of a cell phone free existence. I tried, but five months in, I have failed, it just can't be done. With nary a pay phone to be found anywhere, I'm constantly on hands and knee in front of cellularly endowed friends asking to make a phone call.

Also, it's been impossible to try to remember telephone numbers. After two years of not having to dial anyone's number, I had forgotten most of them. Little slips of paper with numbers on them were constantly getting lost; but a built-in phone book is only one of the features of this exciting new phone.

In fact, in just 24 hours of life with the new phone, I'm beginning to feel inadequate to my many-featured new phone. I have yet to find something this phone can't do. It talks and listens on its own, it will make calls for me; take messages; send messages by text; and something called "say and send" which I am yet to figure out. It has "bluetooth" (I'm thinking this must be some sort of incredibly excited or exotic dental disease); a phone that will take photos and videos; play music; surf the web; and watch television clips.

Who could possibly use all these features? I just needed a phone, but it appears you can't get one of those anymore. Anyways, one of the advantages is the ability to select personal ring tones. What's mine, you ask? The next time you call, all those around me will be hearing the jingly tones of ABBA's Ring, Ring; fitting, no?

For those not familiar with this early ABBA greatness, here's a clip for you. Please note that I have provided a sing-a-long version and expect you to sing-a-long.