Thursday, January 11

no wire hangers, ever!

While reading the news today I saw the reports that Meryl Streep has been signed to play the lead role of "Donna" in the movie version of Mamma Mia - The Musical. I hadn't heard that it was being turned into a movie but given the recent success of Chicago, Dreamgirls and the upcoming Hairspray, I shouldn't be surprised.

This news reminded me of another time ABBA and the movies came together. It was the early 90s, my first time in New York City and I was at a gay bar in New York City called Spash, which I believe is still open today. It was Musical Monday and judging by how everyone knew the video by heart, this video was a weekly event. The video takes ABBA's Mamma Mia and mixes it with clips from the movie Mommie Dearest. This was the movie version of the autobiography by the daughter of screen queen Joan Crawford.

Here's the video:

2 comments:

Lance Morrison said...

LOVE IT!
And yes, splash is still open. Well, it was three years ago when Allie and I went.

Anonymous said...

How can you claim to love fabulous music when you refused to audition for any of the musicals? And you call yourself gay....humph!