Tuesday, January 9

say it ain't so

Growing up I had better taste in music. I liked much more cutting edge music at the time, and one of my favourites was Morrissey, first with the Smiths, and then as solo artist.

In earlier posts, here and here, I have lamented the Eurovision contest. Now, according to the BBC, Morrissey is in talks about becoming involved in the next Eurovision contest. Oh, how the principled have fallen.

I'm torn, I hate to see him fall to such a new low, but the thought of him representing the UK could mean an actual shot at doing reasonably well. Mind you, having a popular artist will not be enough to break through the regional bloc voting that now dominates the Eurovision contest. In the end, it will probably be just a sad footnote when people are writing descriptions of Morrissey's career.

2 comments:

Lance Morrison said...

Looooooove him! More so... I love The Smiths and I have not heard any of his solo stuff, to my knowledge.
In fact, you've just insired me to put on my Smiths CD...
William. William it was... really nothing.....

Glen said...

In the early 90s, probably 92 or 93 I had the chance to see him live on his solo tour in Toronto and he was simply incredible.

The Eurovision story seems to have some legs as it continues today.