Tuesday, January 9

if glen was to be blinded by this chalk

I think I may have got busted for not paying attention in class this morning. The funny thing is I was actually doing class related work when it happened. I was looking down at my readings, and not at my torts prof, Coops, when I became the target in today's class. Torts is what many people think of when they think of the law; it's when you sue people, most often for being negligent.

Today's lesson, factual causation. This is how you prove one person's negligence caused the damage and the loss.

Coops (well known for vigorous arm movements during class) decided to use an example: "say I was moving my arm around and this chalk flew out of my hand and hit" big pause, quick look around the room "glen in the eye, the chalk bits got into his eye and he could no longer see", what or who caused this action. I am pleased to say that this class full of baby tort lawyers seeing dollar signs and an action rose to my defence and pointed out that it was Coops negligent hold on the chalk, or overzealous lecturing that caused the damage. The discussion continued to bring in the people sitting in front of me for not stopping the chalk, the laws of physics, and as one classmate pointed out (on msn thankfully and not to the full class), that I may have been contributory negligent as I was probably on msn and not paying attention.

All this got me to thinking about being in a smaller school. The last month, as has been detailed on the blog, has involved a lot more socialization. I've been going out more and you meet a lot more people, including the profs who come drink with us (Coops included). Before that, I don't think Coops knew my name, and in fact spent one tutorial referring to me as Greg. I didn't catch it in time, and then it was too embarassing to correct him. It led to much hilarity in and out of class.

Anyways, I've decided it's kind of nice being in a school where the profs know your name, and care about how you're doing. At the bar Friday night, Coops came up and said he had seen my marks and told me I was doing good. The one drawback to them knowing your name is you get picked on for examples like these, or when they think they may not have your full attention.

No comments: