Tuesday, January 2

hey little sister, what have you done?

If you're a regular reader of the blog, you're beginning to pick up little snippets about my family, such as my brother, my Mom and Dad, or as they are more commonly known the parental unit, and the Yellowknife Moms. Well it's time to talk about my little sister Megan. This may prove to be a bit of a challenge, as technically I don't have one, and for some readers, my little sister may actually be yours.

Little Miss Know-it-All (see blogs I read) is just one of my little sister's personalities. Her other personalities include Mom, Friend, Media Watchdog, defender of the Pink, and one I affectionately call Rapture Girl. Yes little sister you were wrong to think you only had three personalities.

On her blog, Megan recounts how we met and what our relationship has been like ever since. There's some references to her throughout my blog (and in fact she should be considered the mother of the blog as she practically dared me to start this) but she has not received the full blog entry treatment.

I knew of Megan long before I actually met Megan. When you live in a small town, and work in an even smaller profession, you quickly hear about the new folks in town. It started with a few members of the fourth estate commenting on the fact that some new communications person in town "knew what they were doing". I was less than impressed. "Knowing what I was doing" was my schtick. You can't pull the "Come on, I'm the only PR guy who knows what he's doing" when dealing with reporters if someone else is out there. Consoling myself that we dealt with completely different topics I continued to go about my business with little thought to this person they called "Megan".

Slowly our paths began to cross, the incredibly long, but occasional email (Megan's media call emails are legendary for thier detail), a phone call here or there. We finally met face to face when we were introduced to each other by a reporter. That first meeting did not get off to the best start, I believe the first words out of Megan's mouth was "You're Glen, HEY, I WANT MY BOSS BACK!" Megan's boss had recently moved over to become my boss and there were some separation issues.

At the time I was thinking of going off to law school and this kicked off several months of clandestine activity over whether Megan would want to come over and replace me. Given our similar philosophies in dealing with the media we both thought it may be a good fit. Well plans changed, law school got delayed, I got promoted and my job was open right away. Megan agreed to come over for a 3 month trial period, and thankfully stayed. It was not an easy thing to do, given I was going to be her boss and she was doing my old job, but Megan came in, took over and most people forgot I even used to do it.

While doing all this, we quickly became fast friends. We have a lot in common, and the consensus around the office was that we looked and acted alike. For the first several weeks, we were regularly asked whether Megan was my sister, or how else were we related. We kept saying No, but in fact our relationship quickly came to mirror one of siblings, with all the good and bad that goes along with it.

Megan and I kept each other sane, and made each other just that little bit crazier. We knew which buttons to press to wind each other up. I'm quite proud I can get Megan from 0 to a foot-stomping 60 in under six seconds. The speaking aloud of one name alone is almost guaranteed to produce those results. Our fighting was infamous around the office, but the best thing is that only Megan and I really knew that we agreed and the fighting was just part of that sibling fun. We turned the government into our own family business.

Megan made going into work each day that much more fun. I never knew what was coming up, whether it be threats of newfie music or secret revelations, there was never a boring day. When I finally left for school, Megan made a South Park version of all the staff, that's her above, and me to the left.

Being away from the office I miss Megan, but through the blogs and online chatting I'm very happy our sibling-like relationship is being maintained.

3 comments:

Megan said...

The South Park people took days to complete. Fortunately, you were away for three weeks and didn't know.

Glen said...

Good to know you were being productive in my absence.

Megan said...

The truth is that the people can be pulled together very quickly. Here's what took the time:

1) Try to think about what could possibly be a fitting good-bye gift to Glen. Rule out "flaming bag of dog poo" and "personal greeting from William Shatner".

2) Watch too much late-night TV. Spend too much time on the Internet. Figure out that realistic South Park caricatures can be created online.

3) Think about whether this would be possible. In particular, wonder if the stodgier staff members would go for the idea.

4) Play around with creating figures. Get them to a reasonable standard.

5) Suggest the idea to co-workers.

6) Wait a reasonable length of time so they do not realize that I have actually created caricatures of everyone.

7) Send "draft" caricatures to everyone. Ask for input.

8) Make numerous adjustments - lighten hair colour here, change shirt there.

9) Buy heavy glossy paper. Experiment with several colour printers to find the one that prints best.

10) Shop for frames. Frame picture. Wrap with wrapping paper.

11) Try not to let the secret out.

12) Watch Glen almost cry as he unwraps the picture.

Definitely worth the extra time.