Friday, January 19

a gentleman's game

Cricket is one of those games that seems to have maintained its traditions. I learned about cricket on my visits to England. On one trip I had the chance to watch my younger cousin play. On that day he was a batsman, which is one of the players at the wicket hitting the ball. Depending on how far you hit the ball, you run between the wickets to score points. If you hit it out of the circle, you receive six points.

He was having an excellent run and had been batting for quite some time when he hit one out of the circle. This gave him 50 points on his bat. When this happens, the batsman receives a round of applause javascript:void(0)for his achievement from the audience and even the opposing fieldsmen. It's all very civilized, british and gentlemanly.

How is this all related; this is my 50th post on the blog and I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge the achievement, and look forward to reaching the century mark.

No comments: